My goodness, what a week it’s been! The Monday holiday was just what I needed! We spent the day relaxing, napping, reading, playing Dominion and Beatles Rock Band and just NOT WORKING.
We also went apple picking on Saturday. When it was 100 degrees out. Yeah, not my idea of a good time. But, we needed a bushel of McIntosh apples for our applesauce. And the orchard only had ‘a few trees’. They meant ‘few’ literally, because we only found 3 trees when we got there! We did get our bushel and a whole lot of sun and sweat. Though it didn’t necessarily feel like fall, it did smell like it. There’s nothing like the smell of a McIntosh to ring in the new season.
We also picked up peaches for a steal. Unlike the ones at the farmer’s market lately, they had flavor! They were ‘seconds’ so they looked a little goofy, but they cooked down into a delicious peach butter.
We also had some tasty main meals this week!
- Naked tomato sauce – This was a case where I saw it posted and decided I wanted it. A little complicated, but it was really tasty. The leftovers and their magic tomato sauce were definitely even better.
- Indoor barbeque – It ended up being two steps from raining all day, so we had an indoor barbeque for friends on Sunday. Brats, black bean and corn salsa, potato salad, S’Mores and watermelon.
- Roasted eggplant soup with roasted mini Brussels sprouts – It was a very Smitten Kitchen week, and we had a TON of eggplant from our CSA. We also had a bit of Chris’ all whole wheat sourdough to go with it. YUM.
- Mushroom and pepper quesadillas with sauteed okra
- Vegetable bagel sandwiches – Summer in a sandwich.