And we’re back! We had a lovely vacation and a week of throwing together random (but still tasty!) meals. We’re now back to the kitchen with renewed vigor. It feels good, even if it is a bit hectic!
We had planned on doing peach jam and canning some peaches this weekend. But when we were at the farmer’s market we saw a half bushel of canning tomatoes for $10. So, we decided not to miss our margin and opted to do those a week earlier than originally planned. We had to throw a few out, but the rest have been canned whole in their own juices. We also had enough to make Boston tomato, so that’s cooking down on the stove now. We’ll tackle the peaches tonight and tomorrow night. After that the canning season is over until the apples come in and we do a batch of applesauce.
Our CSA is still delivering lots of tasty things. We got cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, sweet peppers, eggplant and a cantaloupe. I don’t usually like cantaloupe, but I’m willing to give it a try!
- Slow cooker coconut chicken curry with eggplant – Instead of the full two pounds we just cut up what we could get from a whole bird. We sauteed up some eggplant just before eating and mixed it in. It was tasty yesterday, but even better today!
- Macaroni and cheese with roasted broccoli – Wanted to have an entry to this round of the America’s Test Kitchen “Dish it Your Way” challenge!
- Caprese quesadillas with corn on the cob – Why, yes, I am trying to eat up all summer has to offer while it lasts. What makes you ask that?!?
- Eggplant and cherry tomato pizza – We have eggplant, cherry tomatoes and a love for pizza. Yum.
- Fried rice – We’ll throw in some basil along with mushrooms, peas, and green onions.