Happy Memorial Day weekend! Since the holiday is the unofficial opening of summer, I figured it was fitting to start the canning season. We picked up some lovely strawberries from the farmer’s market for strawberry rhubarb jam. There was a lack of rhubarb (even though is was abundant last week!), so we ended up getting some good looking stuff at the store. The jam has been made, but I’m not sure if it was made well. It didn’t appear that it was going to set up, but we’ll have to wait and see. At the very least we’ll have some yummy strawberry rhubarb sauce. It’ll still work just fine for flavoring yogurt.
Our CSA gave us garlic scapes this week! We love the scapes, so it was exciting. We also got some chard, radishes (which we’ve decided we like well enough!) and some salad greens. I’m looking forward to this week’s meals!
- Roasted beet risotto – As we like to say…We got the beets, we got the beets, we got the beets….yeah! We got em!
- Potato salad for a cookout at our new friend’s house.
- Chard tacos – We’re adding some black beans and mushrooms to this recipe. We’ll also put some green onions, lime, cilantro and feta.
- Skillet baked ziti – Yum.
- Salad with roasted beets, radishes, scapes, black beans and perhaps some barley.