Happy New Year! We had a lovely, quiet new year’s eve. We played a board game (any Ticket to Ride fans?), did crossword puzzles and read. Yes, we are old people, why do you ask? I was pleased that we found an online live cast of the ball drop, even if the hosts were a bit much to deal with leading up to it. At midnight we toasted each other with some sparkling cider (still not a fan, in case you were wondering). 2010 was an awesome year, and I’m looking forward to 2011 meeting or exceeding that standard!
On to the food…
- Black-eyed peas, collard greens and corn bread (leftovers) – I never knew this was a New Year’s tradition until all of the food blogs I read posted about it. We needed dinner for Saturday anyway, so we tried it out. Boy was it tasty! Paired with this cornbread and it made us some happy campers.
- Beef, black bean and corn empanadas – These are currently in the refrigerator waiting to be cooked. We decided to prep them when we had extra time Sunday (it took quite a bit of time), so all we had to do was throw them in the oven on Monday. I can’t speak for the final product yet, but the filling was tasty!
- Vegetarian tortilla soup – I’m not sure how I’ll feel about it without the chicken, but I figured it was worth a try.
- Homemade pizza with alfredo sauce, spinach, bacon and mushrooms – We’re cheating by cooking meat more than once this week, but I had some bacon that I wanted to make sure didn’t go to waste.
- Spaghetti with spinach and feta meatballs – I’m not such a fan of real meatballs (for some reason they taste like beef, go figure. (c; ), so I’m excited to try this variation.
- Brie, honey and pear quesadillas – We got Brie on sale for our Christmas Eve get together, so I’m using the second wheel of it on this.