I don’t know about you all, but we’re definitely having a ‘Christmas crash’ menu this week. We have a lot of random things in the fridge to use up, and we’re trying to eat lighter. Though we did better this year controlling our Christmas appetites, we certainly still left a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully this menu will make up for that in a lot of ways. Plus it’s getting warm (projected 52 degrees on Friday, seriously Indiana?!?) so we can do some running without feeling like our noses are going to freeze off.
- Aunt Donna’s bean soup (Indiana style) – Aunt Donna always made this with the leftover ham bone. It was always a treat when she showed up at our place with a container for us. Though we can’t make it the same here (we don’t have Grandma Brown’s baked beans) we have managed to come up with an acceptable Indiana substitute. (c:
- Kale pesto pasta with white beans – I’m going to improvise a kale pesto recipe and hope it turns out ok. If not we’ll be eating something less than exciting for a couple of days!
- Chickpea curry – We’ve tried several versions of this and not had good luck. Hopefully this one will be the ticket!
- Mushroom melts and oven fries – I’ve been craving Smith’s mushroom melts recently. The problem is that I have no idea what was actually on them. I searched the 2eat menus and the most recent versions offer no new clues. If anyone has an idea, let me know. Right now we’re going with mushrooms, cheese, spinach and just a tad of mayo. But it might be sprouts rather than spinach. I might have to email dining services. Desperate? Yes.
- Snack food reprise – We’re redoing a couple of the snacks from Christmas Eve for New Year’s eve. I made half recipes of most everything so we would waste less food and get to use it for this.
- Monkey bread – Mom used to make this on New Year’s so we’re bringing back the tradition. Though we’re still trying to figure out a way to make much less than a whole bundt pan full.