Two notable culinary items to discuss regarding this weekend. The great banana bread showdown and lots and lots of chocolate.
We went to an event last night where people were asked to volunteer to bring an extravagant dessert. Well, I immediately RSVPed to jump on that. You see, there’s this dessert I’ve been wanting to try ever since Cook’s Illustrated published it last year. Triple-Chocolate Mousse Cake. It’s a layer of flourless dark chocolate cake. Followed by a milk chocolate mousse layer. On top of that sits a white chocolate whipped cream layer. And finally, some chocolate shavings to round it all out. It’s beautiful and sounded delicious, but with a good $25ish in chocolate and cream alone, I had to have a good reason to whip this one up. This was it!
The cake was a bit of work, but man-oh-man was it good. The original recipe says it serves 8-10, but we cut it into around 14 pieces instead. It was so rich that I could only eat half of my small piece last night (along with the various other samples of what other people brought). Tonight I set out to finish it and could only eat half of my half! Was it worth it? Yes. But it certainly won’t be an every day event! Here’s the recipe on a blog I found called Annie’s Eats, in case you’d like to drool some.
Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Here’s what we’re eating this week…
- Breakfast pizza – we made this tonight and despite my overcooking the eggs, it was quite tasty. I like the addition of all the green stuff sprinkled over top at the end.
- Barley risotto with beans and greens – We’re changing this up a bit to use some kale and white beans, because we’ve been on a kale kick lately.
- Pumpkin pasta bake – Yumm. It’s a variation on a pumpkin pasta we usually do every year around this time. But baked so it gets ooey gooey and crisp on top. Also sausage. Which I <3.
- Spicy butternut squash couscous – My friend Elizabeth mentioned this last week, and I’ve not been able to put it out of my mind so it’s time for a try!
- We’ll also be doing some freezer raiding to fill out the week. Gotta make some room for our Thanksgiving make-ahead prep.